When you start paying attention to the health world, you’ll see lots of great advice repeating: avoid sugar, eat real food, live an active lifestyle. I wonder if these tips get repeated so frequently because people don’t listen. Maybe doctors, health coaches and bloggers keep saying these things in the hopes of actually igniting change.
One of my favorite tips: drink water first thing in the morning.
Everyone says its great for you, but how many of us actually take the advice?
I’m here to add another voice to the healthy masses, and maybe give a few new reasons. Here’s why I personally love drinking water first thing in the morning:
- It gives me a head start on my water intake for that day. I aim to drink 70 ounces per day, and that can become a challenge once my day starts. Whether I leave my water bottle at home, forget to pull it out of my bag or ignore it for an extra cup of coffee, I know I’m already a third of the way through my daily intake.
- It wakes me up. Every once in a while, I’ll skip the water because I’m extra tired. When I’m extra tired, I skip things that make me feel good out of spite. And I regret it. Every time.
- It gives me a reason to sit in bed for an extra few minutes. This is great! Especially when I’m extra tired. I can wake up, sit up half way and sip my water until I have the energy to put my feet on the floor. It’s an extra few minutes under the warm covers when I let myself slowly wake up. Lovely. 🙂
If that’s not enough to convince you 😉 I’ll give you five scientific reasons:
- It rehydrates you. You just slept for 8 hours (in an ideal world, maybe), and your body’s supply of fluids is low. You’re thirsty, and coffee is not the way to quench that thirst.
- It kick starts your metabolism. Your metabolism has been sleeping for the last 8 hours too. A big glass of water, preferably cold, has been proven to increase your metabolism by about 24% for an hour and a half. Plus, drinking water fills you up so you’ll be less inclined to grab that bagel at work.
- It flushes out toxins. This happens all day, but when you do it in the morning it helps to clear out your colon allowing for nutrients to be more easily absorbed. And water helps your kidneys (your garbage collectors) function better!
- It fuels your brain. Did you know that your brain is about 75% water? That’s crazy! When you drink enough water, you feel the difference. You’re more sharp and you think more clearly. Starting first thing in the morning means you leave behind that early morning drag.
- It keeps you regular. Yep, we’re going there. Hydrating first thing in the morning will prevent constipation and promote your morning bowel movement.
Researching for this article, I found out that we should drink 1.5 liters to get the most out of your morning hydration. I’ve been drinking about half of that and still experiencing results. I’m planning on upping my intake to see how that affects me, but start small. Even the littlest bit will be refreshing.
What about you? Do you drink water first thing in the morning? I’d love to hear what your experiences with it have been! Let me know in the comments 🙂